Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Wedding programs.

This post serves no real purpose other than to show off the very basic design skills that I have, of which I am very proud.

I made our wedding programs for a few reasons. We were on the fence about them for so long. Neither of us really felt they were necessary, but I did like the idea of people having something to look at while they waited. The grand plan was to have puzzles and word games. In the last month, all of that creativity wasn't going to happen, but the July 4 date was a little concerning when considering temperature. It was too late to do an elaborate fan, but I thought a piece of 110# card stock would suffice as a fan.  That, and we had the majority of the pack leftover, even after invites. So we set to making programs.



In interest of keeping in theme, and probably mostly out of laziness, I kept with the three fonts I'd used in the invitations: Simple Print, Basic Title, and Jellyka Bees Antique Handwriting, all of which I'd downloaded for free. The rest of the detail consists of lines, which I drew within Microsoft Publisher, and the heart, which I swiped somewhere off the Internet, I'm guessing. Just checked - it's actually a font called Kozuka Gothis Pro EL and I definitely think I found it randomly on Pinterest.

The spacing took the longest, and was the most frustrating, but I made every section in a text box, had the margins tight, and was able to force things into position. I then grouped everything and made a copy because these are each a half sheet. 


I created a word and pdf file for download. I think everything will look crazy because if you don't have the specific fonts I used those areas will appear as blank. I think these files will work, but in the event that they don't and you're interested in using them, let me know and I'll try harder. Or email you. 

I snazzed them up with a corner punch I picked up at JoAnn's. That part of the process was incredibly frustrating - partly because Zach thought he could help but didn't have the patience to line up the corner, resulting in chopped cutouts, and partly because it was a corner cutout so it had to be lined up exactly. The process took a while. We only did about twenty at a time (that's twenty corners, so five programs), before taking a bit of a break to reset and make sure the punch was clear. It was meticulous. We really liked the way they turned out, so we'd probably do it again. We might just invest in a better punch or something less symmetrical. More realistically, we should have just started the programs earlier than thirty days before the wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...