Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Frosty.

We have a window in our shower. It looks straight to our neighbor's house, and Zach was insistent that you could see straight in. I was more skeptical as we have a decent sized backyard and the neighbor's house doesn't face us (it's perpendicular to us, so we just see their garage side), but the window is at chin-level, so I guess that's odd. In reality, the true concern is deer creeping on you. 


Sorry for the extreme nostalgia I'm imagining this post is causing. I'm lusting after my green lawn. Also, fall.

One of the first house projects was frosting that window. We'd love to put in glass block with a middle vent one day, but that's not in the cards money stack just yet.  That day is nowhere near, so we picked up a roll of window frosting, specifically this one: Gila PFW486 Privacy Residential Window Film, Frosted, 48-Inch by 6-1/2-Feet. They have coatings in all sorts of finishes and designs, but we opted for the most basic one that obstructed the view but not the light.  And after applying, you can 100% not see through this. We also grabbed the Gila RTK500 Window Film Application Tool Kit, Complete, because I wanted to install this baby without having to go back to the store. The kit seems just like Windex, a squeegee, and a razor, but everything was in boxes and either at the apartment, house, or my parent's house in Pittsburgh, so counting on finding any of those things was slim. Otherwise, I would've skipped the kit, and think that in a fully stocked house, you can apply this thing with Windex, a credit card/putty knife/other straight edge, and an exact knife.


First, I cleaned the window really well. The window frame had started to experience some rot, which is understandable in its high-moisture location, and little bits of grime kept sliding up when I sprayed it down.  Up, down, you keeping up? 


Once I had scrubbed and sanded out as much as I could, I measured the window. I rolled out the film and cut out the dimensions, allowing for an extra inch-and-a-half on each side. I added a strip of tape to each side of the film so that it would more easily peel off of the backing. All of this is in the instructions, but if you're reading this first, maybe you'll remember the tape when you read the instructions again. It really helps. Then, following the directions exactly, I sprayed the window directly with the application spray (which I think could be Windex). Next, I had my mum peel off the backing as I held the film. She then sprayed the film (the side that would hit the window pane) with the application spray. Obviously this was all impossible to photograph as two of us were both using both sets of hands. I then applied the film directly to the window and started smoothing out air bubbles with the mini-squeegee (i.e., credit card). When that was set, I used the razor to cut the excess. 


I gave it a day, then I ran a line of caulk where the glass hits the frame to further hold down the film and seal the area where the moisture could seep in. 


Since doing that, we've taken multiple daily showers for the past five months and it's held up very well (knock on wood). There aren't any signs of peeling or bubbling, and we don't know if our neighbors are trying to creep on us in the shower. It is still freezing showering in subzero temperatures, though. 


I'm reluctant to open the window when showering, but he's also fairly adamant that we do that for steam/mold/whatever purposes. It's a weird experience, showering and chilling in the winter. Even more strange, I know of spas that try to illicit that experience, so maybe we're just classy. The point of all of this was to show that even with the window open enough for venting purposes, you're still not going to see inside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...