Tuesday, October 15, 2013

JIMMY. EAT. WORLD.

I know I like weird, punny, alliterating titles that don't make sense, but those won't do Jimmy Eat World justice. 

I can't believe I haven't shared this earlier.  Lucky for me, I have a sister that exceeds the definition of Type A. She called me out on my 30 by 30 list. As busy as I've been in house hunting, wedding planning, and busy season, it helps to have her force me to remember these fun times, things I've wanted to do so badly that I publicly set myself up.  So I'm not even mad about it.

Jimmy Eat World has been my favorite band for a long time.  I'd say at least ten years.  It took me ten years to realize that, but I was certain after the concert at the 9:30 Club in DC. 



Part of it might be that I was sure I'd missed my chance to see them live, about, maybe, five years ago when they went on hiatus.  Salt was thrown in that wound as I fruitlessly chased Weezer to fill that void. But I caught Weezer three-years in.



Clearly no one clued me in on looking happy instead of tough. 

Jimmy.

To start, they couldn't of decorated any better. I swapped out my glass light cover for a paper lantern in high school. My decorating instincts apparently have some sort of staying power. 




Then they came out and played for two hours. Two hours as I sang or stumbled through the lyrics of songs I didn't know yet (see the aforementioned busy season).  It was wonderful.


I realized how much I had missed concerts. Somehow, before this year, it'd been two years since I'd been to a concert. I overcorrected this year by attending five, but I don't regret it for a minute. Though admittedly, attending the JT/JayZ concert at a venue 2.5 hours away on a Sunday night was not the brightest decision. Jimmy was on a Sunday, but the commute was much improved. 



The 9:30 Club was an awesome venue, too. I was a row from the stage, and the crowd was old enough that I didn't have to throw elbows to keep my space. Does this make me old? I loved it. I jumped around and felt like I got a workout. Yeah, definitely old.



I loved it. I loved every second. I even copied down the set list and recreated it on my iPhone. That's not usual for me; I like songs, not albums (Bloc Party's Silent Alarm is a huge exception to this).  That, and I can't stop smiling when I think of this concert, two months later. Goal: fulfilled.

1 comment:

  1. but you still haven't updated your 30 by 30 page!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...