Thursday, August 1, 2013

Five foodgroups pie.

Strawberry rhubarb pie does not sound appealing to me. It doesn't help that rhubarb looks like red celery. 

After a farmer's market trip with Mum in which she bought some mini pies and gushed about how much she loved strawberry rhubarb pie and how she used to have it all the time when she was young, I was intrigued. Mum's a picky eater, and really only loves M&M's. Maybe pickles and tortilla chips, too. She didn't disappoint: the mini pies were delicious.



As her July birthday lent perfectly to a celebratory dessert, I decided to try my hand at one of her favorite desserts. That's incredibly risky, but Dad was home visiting from England at the time, so I had a safety net. The pie would be eaten.


I used the Betty Crocker recipe (anyone else have the beaten up red cookbook?). I had tried another recipe that I found from Pinterest for the July 4 weekend and a party with friends, but didn't love it. Betty came to the rescue.

Pastry:

- 2/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water

Cut the shortening into the flour and salt until it's broken into pea-sized pieces. With a fork, toss in the water, one tablespoon at a time until all the flour starts to clump into one pastry. I start to use my hands to mix at this point. Divide the dough in half. Roll out one half to fit the pie pan.

Pie filling:

- 1 and 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grate orange peel
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut up into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups strawberries
- 2 tablespoons butter (to tab in the top)

I mixed all of the ingredients in a large bowl, layering and stirring the fruit over the flour and sugar. Betty would've had me layer in half of the fruit into the pastry-lined pan, sprinkle half of the sugar/flour on top, then mix the remaining halves and spread those on top.

Roll out the top crust. I opted for the lattice top, but you could also go basic. Either way, be sure to cut slits for the pie to breath. Dot the top with butter. I tucked slices under the four corners. I also sprinkled sugar over the top.



Bake the pie in a warmed over at 425 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the juice starts to bubble and the crust browns. I kept foil on the edge of the crust until the last ten minutes.


Ta-da! I also like to rationalize indulgence by considering all the food groups I'm hitting in a slice: fruit, vegetables, sugars, and carbohydrates. As a vegetarian, it's nearly a totally well-rounded meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...