Thursday, June 27, 2013

Rulings and Races.

Yesterday was monumental. Regardless of your political beliefs, and I do want to avoid those here, but I will venture to disclose that I believe in human equality. I also feel like I'm writing in a formalize tone, but that's because I'm reading Pride and Prejudice. 

On Wednesday, June 26, the Supreme Court of the United States decided that part of two different laws, one federal and one from the state of California, were unconstitutional. The court decided that the part of the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) that denied benefits to same-sex marriages was unconstitutional, and that California's Proposition 8 that banned same-sex marriage was also unconstitutional.  

I'm excited. I'm proud of this country. I want you to know that the new was delivered to the press by a pack of sprinting interns. 


I've lived in DC for three years and still learning fun facts from Buzzfeed. Did you know that broadcast interns literally race each other to deliver groundbreaking news from the court to their stations? Well, not all are as enthusiastic, but I'll let you peruse at your leisure. I'd go so far as to say that some weren't committed, because every girl knows, and every guy that's seen one can probably guess, that pencil skirts aren't the most flexible. Regardless, I admire the delivery of these interns, including their ability to safely descend down the marble stairs with the finish line in sight. I can't do that on most days and I don't ever have pressing, time-sensitive news to deliver. I maintain that the pervasive use of marble in DC for public curbs and stairs is the largest hidden threat, and an expensive one at that. 

This takes me to my current situation: I have an intern for the summer, and my manager told me that he wants to prank him. I need suggestions and ideas.  I don't have a pack of interns, so I can't make them race, but I'm going to keep this in mind until I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...