Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Rainbow Cake Bake.

Veronica's 24th birthday was a couple of weeks ago.  She's big on life presents (presents spontaneously presented to her throughout the year when the desire strikes the presenter), so she's always tossing out options for us. Off-hand, a few months ago, she mentioned that all she and Dinah, her older cat that turned five this year, wanted for their shared birthday was a rainbow cake.

I was up for the challenge.

I started with two boxes of white angel cake, a pack of food coloring, and the ingredients to make our favorite homemade icing. I wanted to just link up the icing because I was sure I had made it before on here, but it seems that is false. So here's the icing interlude:

Icing, makes 3 cups:
  •  1 cup vegetable shortening
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of water
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract (I usually do a half teaspoon of each if there's no nut allergies celebrating)
Mix the shortening, water, and extract in a mixer. Add in the powdered sugar slowly and increase the blending speed. Mix until all is well blended. This recipe makes stiff consistency icing. For thin consistency, add two tablespoons of water for each cup of icing. For those that don't want to do the math, that was six tablespoons in addition to the ingredients above for thin icing.
 ...do do do. We're back to rainbow cake making. I mixed one box of white cake per the instructions on the box. I then divided the mix into three bowls by scooping 1/3 cup to each until I was out of mix. Then, I added in drops of food coloring until the mixes were looking like their respective colors.


I baked the mix according to the box, let them cool, and started icing. The layers stacked from purple up to red.


Greg bought some sparkler candles to top off the cake.


We sang, she smiled, and blew out the candles a few times.


Then we cut the cake for the big surprise.  Veronica was really excited.


Happy 24th, pretty girl! You have a very exciting year ahead of you, and I can't wait to celebrate along the way with you. I love you!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay nobody understands the life presents because its not about me getting presents its about me GIVING life presents okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it! I want to do it more too, thus the phrasing. It's not a dig!

      Delete
  3. HOLY cow it turned out perfect, I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was super easy at that - you only have to manage the timing if you only have two cake pans, like I did.

      Delete

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...