Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Treasures: England shopping edition.

It's been a while since I've done one of these, but the concept's simple: I shop like a creep, rationalize purchases as part of my legacy, and then I document my spoils. Considering the travel documentation that I've been catching up on, these are shopping posts in the name of souvenirs. That doesn't mean I scope the sale out any differently.


Catch up on last posts here and here, if you'd like. Otherwise, we're jumping right into the spoils of England.

We're starting with Liverpool, as that was the first new stop on my tour de home country that offered multiple money depositories. Not banks, stores. Stores that sucked me right in. Specifically, John Lewis. I'm a total convert with a purchase of starfish and a honeybee hive tealight holder. Sadly, I don't have either to show you because they somehow missed the pile of things for Zachles to capture. This is off to a great start. 

To distract you, I'll start with this mythical creature.


Part lamb, part banana, all super. You can learn more about him here, but it's basically a made-up creature based on Liverpool's exports. I think they should replace slides at playgrounds. Right now, he's a magnet, but I think I want to hot glue a ribbon on it an make him an ornament. I'm really into decorating the Christmas tree that I don't have. Then there's this because, well, Liverpool, duh. Or if you're my sister, #duh. I got him at the Beatles museum without paying admission because I'll soon be living in Cleveland and closer to the Rock and Roll Museum.


In London, my penchant for these strange stuffed historically and culturally significant objects was fulfilled by King Henry VIII and a crown for Queen Elizabeth II's diamond jubilee. Gah, I'm hoping she beats Queen Victoria's record. Does anyone know her last name? I realized that her insignia of ER II are all over, but I she's at Prince status for me, so she only needed a first name. And a title.



 St. Paul's Cathedral and the Tower of London both offered me stuffed memorabilia, but I envisioned my Christmas tree with a littler more variety, so I picked up a painted metal heart with the surrounding scenes of St. Paul's and a metal bookmark with a raven on the Tower of London.


Then there's the keychains that can easily be ornaments or framed in a little box for my non-existent house's frame wall. You may say I'm a dreamer. 


There's the tiny double decker bus that I got for 2 pounds, which was a total steal, a Strawberry Field street sign to combine Zach's love for the Beatles and my love for strawberries, a Denby pottery magnet because, as a family, we're obsessed with that place, or maybe it's just Dad, and a chocolate frog from the Harry Potter set tour that actually smells like chocolate. I believe in a wizarding world more every day.

  
I also picked up a Derby keychain, which was a feat in itself as touristy items are hard to come by in a non-touristy town, a Chatsworth thimble because they strangely didn't have the stuffed relics of history that I expected and Dad convinced me that I could do something with that, and then made me pay for it, and a tiny little Stonehenge that'll live up to his mysterious past when he floats on a tree. Was that last one a stretch? Does "that will" not contract into "that'll"? The world may never know.

Catch up on the trip stories in London here and Harry Potter here. Conversely, Chatsworth is here and Liverpool is there. And if I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't Any contrary-wise, what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would you see? Any Alice in Wonderland fans there? She's my favorite English story tale. 

Linking up on this travel Tuesday! 

Helene in Between

5 comments:

  1. i love to collect key chains and ornaments! it's a great way to remember places you go and memories you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love collecting little souvenirs that I can turn into Christmas ornaments- some of these ones are SO cute! I love the heart, the submarine, the bus, and the denby mug!! Aww!

    My Travel Tuesday Post
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving all your goodies from London! My sister collects Christmas ornaments and buys them practically everywhere we go!

    Hey, I'm a CPA too! Nice to meet you through the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so you can share my pain?! Just kidding, sort of... we need to commiserate!

      Delete

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...