Monday, March 18, 2013

Picture This: Week 11.

I started a picture-a-day project this year. My intent is to try and appreciate every day, the good and the bad. That, and it's a fun way to see the year compiled into a bunch of snapshots. I'm posting weekly recaps of the past seven days. It's a fun way to recap the week and to keep me motivated to try new things and live it up every day. It's rarely ground-breaking, but I couldn't handle that anyway. Does anyone else do this? I'd love for you to share! You can start anytime, too - a new year doesn't have to start on January 1. I'd love to nose around your life and live vicariously. In the least creepy way possible. And PS - my sister does this as well, and is in the process of updating her blog. Check out my past weeks through the "picture-a-day" topic link on the right.

PS - I also updated my week 10 post that I had to post with a rain check. PPS - does it count as a PS if there's still words below it? And while we're at it, what is a CV and why don't people just call it a resume?


March 11, 2013

I'd be remiss not to include some Paris delicacies. Much of my excitement related to this city revolves around the carb-related treats: crepes, croissants, pain-au-chocolat, and baguettes. At the recommendation of Kate, who lived and studied in the city for a year, we prioritized a visit to La Belle Ronde, a creperie on Rue Daguerre, a super cute market street. She did not disappoint - I had a lemon and chocolate crepe while Zach had ham and cheese, accompanied by orange press├ęs, which are fresh squeezed orange juice and so much better than that description. Obviously I was in too much of a hurry to snap a picture before trying to shovel it down my throat. The fork was in mid-air, it was a close save. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that my three-years of French held up to rudimentary ordering after a seven-year hiatus.


March 12, 2013

 For some unknown reason, Zach and I agreed that taking a coach bus overnight from Paris to Amsterdam would be best. After six days of travel and exhaustive touring. Leaving the sleep to chance and trusting that we could still take on Amsterdam. It wasn't our finest moment, and the group of girls on the bus helped to ensure it was the worst decision we had ever made. We salvaged the day with Dutch pancakes, which might dictate their own post, another free walking tour, a visit to the Anne Frank museum, and an engagement. What the what?! Yessiree, Zach and I are now engaged. That'll get its own post later, too. Yay!

 
March 13, 2013

 I know that any gushing about Amsterdam is going to sound cliche now. Thanks, Zach. But I really did fall in love with this unique, strange, and liberal city. One thing I really enjoyed was all of the cheerful graffiti. It wasn't everywhere, but when there was graffiti, it was bright and playful. In my opinion. That, and I love raptors.

March 14, 2013

Dad, Greg, Zach and I traveled to Cambridge on Wednesday. Mum had recommended that we take a day to recuperate, but it was pedal-to-the-medal in a all-you-can-see tour on Zach's first international trip. I first visited the university in 2006 and loved it. We took a similar tour to what I had done, but unfortunately it left much to be desired. I was bummed that I couldn't salvage it with factoids for my travel mates, but I did lead them to the Eagle, the pub where Watson and Crick discussed their discovery of DNA and where WWII airmen and women marked their legacy with burned names and mementos in the ceiling. I like to think lunch and ale brought them back into my favor.

March 15, 2013

We had planned to go on a hike, but the weather wasn't agreeing with that, Zach was still clearing his sinuses after the plane ride back to Derby, and I was still trying to coerce the sore throat into submission. Dad recommended the textile museum in Matlock Bath. It wasn't received with fanfair, but we were like, yeah, sure. Turns out, it was a pretty interesting little gem on how fabric was made (and how they still make it here) and there were floors of shops. Afternoon saved and now I have a little egg caddy.


March 16, 2013

On Saturday, it became obvious that we should have listened to Rhonda and taken a break. I spent the day trying to keep up with my nose faucet and trying to comprehend rugby.


March 17, 2013

I woke up on Sunday in an even worse place than Saturday. Literally because my bed was a disaster after the plugged/drippy nose mouth-breathing night. I'll spare you further elaboration. Now it just felt like Mum was being vindictive. That is, if she could actually control my sicknesses. I tried out the honey and cinnamon remedy for a bladder infection and then suffered some of the worst stomach cramps as a result. And no dice. Dad went out and got me some cranberry juice and real medicine, and fingers are crossed that this will kill it. Otherwise, I missed a visit to Chatsworth House. That place is trying to elude me.

This past week was really ran the gamut of highs and lows, huh?

2 comments:

  1. Traveling always gets to you, eventually. Sickness, be damned. Hope you feel better!

    Still excited about your engagement! Were you expecting it, or was it a total surprise? Maybe this information will be in a later post, I realize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I guess I'm happy it's held off this long.

      Total surprise. I expected it sometime, but not now. And yes, it'll be coming! I had plans to blog it all out, but now I'm mostly lying around in self-pity. That, and it might be less confusing to explain (to myself and everyone) when the other ring is in.

      Delete

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...