Monday, March 11, 2013

Picture This: Week 10.

I started a picture-a-day project this year. My intent is to try and appreciate every day, the good and the bad. That, and it's a fun way to see the year compiled into a bunch of snapshots. I'm posting weekly recaps of the past seven days. It's a fun way to recap the week and to keep me motivated to try new things and live it up every day. It's rarely ground-breaking, but I couldn't handle that anyway. Does anyone else do this? I'd love for you to share! You can start anytime, too - a new year doesn't have to start on January 1. I'd love to nose around your life and live vicariously. In the least creepy way possible. And PS - my sister does this as well, and is in the process of updating her blog. Check out my past weeks through the "picture-a-day" topic link on the right.



March 4, 2013

Dad's always urging me to get out in Derby. It's not that I don't, but I'm not up at 8 am and touring the town every day. It's part vacation, so there's a strict pajamas-until-eleven policy. That aside, the walking paths are great here and there are so many hidden gems. We visited Oinky, the water buffalo left in Derby by the circus. The city has since adopted him and he lives in a field next to some soccer (football) fields. It was his dinner time so he wasn't feeling social and I couldn't get a close picture. I'll try again. We had Cheerios for the ducks in Darley Abbey on our way back and they were also very excited about this second dinner. I'm excited about the prospect of spring in those budding daffodils.



March 5, 2013

After close darts games Monday night, Dad and Greg had convinced us that we needed to visit Matlock. Greg had the day off and was kind enough to take us up to the beautiful little town of Matlock Bath on the edge of the Peak District. Most of the attractions weren't open, but we hiked a steep cliff and took in the scenery whilst burning off our delicious ice creams.



March 6, 2013

Zach and I arrived in London on Wednesday to start our weeklong mini-Europe trek. We hopped on a free walking tour for a tour of royal London, which involved the city of Westminster and the stories of kings, queens, and their residences. I've mentioned it before, but I love factoids. It doesn't matter how many times I've been to the city before- the tour guides will always be able to teach me something new. This time: how Coco Chanel's initials are immortalized around Westminster and emblazoned on every light post. Turns out, she had a long-standing affair with the Duke of Westminster, Hugh Grovesnor. Bender, as he was known, was so proud of this affair that when designing the lamp posts, he had her initials included along with his seal. Crazy, right?! Anyone have a good book recommendation on her? I'm fascinated now.



March 7, 2013

London wouldn't be London without an annoying half-mist/half-rainy day despite the forecast. The grass wouldn't be so green without it, I suppose. We made the most of it with tours of St. Paul's and the Tower of London, though, and stayed relatively comfortable through a long day of touring.


March 8, 2013

We took a tour with Premium Tours on Friday to Windsor castle, Stonehenge, Lacock, and Bath. I'll be back with more about each later (I saw three of the Queen's corgi dogs!!). As this post is limited to pictures I take with my phone so I can upload before I'm back with my computer, Stonehenge is the picture of this day. It was raining lightly all day, so it was quintessential England on the plains.


March 9, 2013

Please excuse the nerdom if you don't understand the picture. We visited the Warner Brother studio set tour of the Harry Potter films and It was beyond expressive. The amount of work in the sets, props, special and visual effects, and everything else was insanely impressive.


March 10, 2013


Will you accept an IOU? As I draft this on Friday, before I have to get up at 3 am to catch a 6:30 am flight to Paris, I have no pictures. I'm not going to rely on my Internet availability whilst in Paris, either, so I'll get back to you on this one. Pinky swear, to all five of you keeping up with this.

Update: I added a picture, if that wasn't obvious. On Sunday, Zach and I had a packed day in Paris. We arrived at 9 AM after waking up to catch the flight at 3 AM that morning, took a day trip to Versailles, the palace of Louis XIV, then did some exploring before shooting up to the top of the Eiffel Tower. To say we were exhausted by the end of the day was an understatement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...