Tuesday, March 12, 2013

It's a turkey... pie!

I feel like the childhood I shared with my sisters was a bit different than most. I'm not saying this to try and make us different. We would LOVE for someone to understand us. I'm saying this because we seem to have had experiences and memories that we can't share with many others. The title reference? It's a nod to Zoombinis. Sadly, these guys don't even have their own wikipedia page, so I'm going to fall short of explaining this computer game of the 90's. Imagine a group of blue potatoes, with shoes, hair, eyes, and features just like Mr. Potato Head. They're the good guys. In the game, you helped a pack of these fellas through their world and up a mountain, overcoming obstacles and demands of other strange creatures along the way. One such quest was a pizza-making quest. The very greedy, rude, and overweight stump requested the perfect pizza and would toss out your mates if you didn't get it right. Once you did make the perfect pie though, he would let you pass and sing/yell, "It's a piiiizzaaaa piiiiiiiieeeeee."

Over it? Or know it? Please let me know. I currently can only have my sisters as backup that I'm not crazy on this one. Let's move on to the prettiest thing I've made to date: a turkey pot-pie. 

I think I've mentioned it before, but Dad refers to our extended time in Derby as housewife training. It's a title Veronica and I have persisted. And then I fall victim to my love of baking. Honestly, though, I can't cook, and forcing myself to try wouldn't kill me. 

So Mum bought a way-too-big turkey for the three meat eaters before she hopped the pond and I was alone with still-too-much turkey and one meat eater. It should also be mentioned that the last time I attempted to cook meat (chicken, in this case), I was so concerned with poisoning people that I cooked that thing until it stuck to the pan. I couldn't remove it, and no one had chicken that night. That was probably four years ago, and the need hasn't arisen for a second attempt.

Luckily, the turkey was cooked once, so I could lay off trying to totally kill it.

I opted for a pot pie, partly mostly so I could eat pie dough. I used this recipe to make the crusts.

 Ingredients

-1 small/medium red onion, chopped
-3 small carrots, chopped and halved
-2 stalks of celery, chopped
-3 medium parsnips, chopped and halved
-3 small/medium potatoes, peeled and diced
-2 cups water
-2 beef bullion cubes 
-3 tablespoons parsley
-1 tablespoon oregano
-dash of salt and pepper
-1 1/2 - 2 cups of cooked turkey, cubed
-3 tablespoons flour
-1/2 cup milk
-4 tablespoons of butter



1. Make the pie dough and halve it to use for the bottom and top crust. Roll out the bottom crust and press in a 9 or 10-inch pie tin. Set aside.

2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

3. In a large skillet, melt two tablespoons of butter on medium heat and add the carrots, celery, onion, parsnips, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook until tender. Add two cups of water and beef bullion cubes and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until potatoes are a bit tender, but still firm. Turn down the burner to let simmer.



4. In a small saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Add the turkey, flour, and milk. Stir until combined. It'll thicken a bit.

5. Add the turkey to the vegetables and stir until thickened. I turned up the heat a bit for this and kept a close eye.

6. Remove from heat and let cool a bit. I was a bit worried at this point that the mix would fit into the pie. Lo and behold, it did, with the right amount of rounded top. Remember that it'll cook down while it's baking.



7. Roll out the top crust and layer on top. Cut four slits to allow for venting. I did a traditional pinch around the sides.



8. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. After that, lower the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown the pie is bubbling within the slits.



And it's that the prettiest pie you've seen? It's a shame it's not something sweet. I think I've broken the ice with cooking, though. Can't stop me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...