Monday, February 18, 2013

Picture This: Week 7.

I started a picture-a-day project this year. My intent is to try and appreciate every day, the good and the bad. That, and it's a fun way to see the year compiled into a bunch of snapshots. I'm posting weekly recaps of the past seven days. It's a fun way to recap the week and to keep me motivated to try new things and live it up every day. It's rarely ground-breaking, but I couldn't handle that anyway. Does anyone else do this? I'd love for you to share! You can start anytime, too - a new year doesn't have to start on January 1. I'd love to nose around your life and live vicariously. In the least creepy way possible. And PS - my sister does this as well, but rarely updates her blog. Check out my past weeks through the "picture-a-day" topic link on the right.  

This week was another whirlwind of travel, and I loved it. We visited Poland, which I've always wanted to do as I'm a quarter Polish. I'll post more on that trip, soon!


February 11, 2013

 Monday started my darts training under my sister Veronica's tutelage. It started fairly rough (see the dart I stuck into the brick wall?), but by the end of the evening, I have visibly improved, and Veronica didn't flinch every time I lined up.


February 12, 2013

We arrived in Krakow, Poland, on Tuesday, just in time to join a tour to the Wieliczka (veal-ich-ka, Polish is a very strange language, and I can say that because I'm Polish) salt mines. Underground, there were some crazy impressive sculptures made out of SALT. Weird, right? I loved this chandelier. Also made out of salt, and the ceiling, which is natural rock salt (the grey) and little growths of what I guess is pure salt and it's combination with the air and humidity. I'm going to stop because I'm making this up. The chandelier crystals are pure salt though, and the ceiling is rock salt. Facts.


February 13, 2013

We visited Auschwitz and Birkenau on Wednesday. It was surreal, it was heavy, and it was important. As inscribed on a memorial plaque there, "For ever let this place be a cry of despair and a warning to humanity, where the Nazis murdered about one and a half million men, women, and children, mainly Jews from various countries of Europe." It's the hardest lessons that are most important, and seeing the visible impact of the six million Polish killed, of them three million Jews, on Krakow was resounding.  Knowing that was only part of the inhumanity is painful.


Thursday, February 14

 Thursday was Valentine's Day, and after a hard day on Wednesday, it was nice to see so many signs of love. Walentynki = Valentine's Day. Again, what a language.


Friday, February 15

We were back in Derby on Friday and the sun was out! Mum and I took the opportunity to walk to the park, feed the ducks, and gather as much vitamin D as possible.


Saturday, February 16

Mum, Dad, and I packed up the car for a castle road trip this weekend. On Saturday, we visited Tintagel, the legendary birthplace of King Arthur. The castle and property is mostly in ruins, but the views were incredible.


Sunday, February 17

We were at St. Michael's Mount on Sunday, completing our visit to eight of the top ten castles in England. The castle's on an island, but for four hours a day, the tide rolls out to allow you to pass via a causeway. We went out on a ferry, and walked back over the Atlantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...