Monday, February 11, 2013

Picture This: Week 6.

I started a picture-a-day project this year. My intent is to try and appreciate every day, the good and the bad. That, and it's a fun way to see the year compiled into a bunch of snapshots. I'm posting weekly recaps of the past seven days. It's a fun way to recap the week and to keep me motivated to try new things and live it up every day. It's rarely ground-breaking, but I couldn't handle that anyway. Does anyone else do this? I'd love for you to share! You can start anytime, too - a new year doesn't have to start on January 1. I'd love to nose around your life and live vicariously. In the least creepy way possible. And PS - my sister does this as well, but rarely updates her blog. Check out my past weeks through the "picture-a-day" topic link on the right.  

I've been in four countries in the past seven days. It's overwhelming to say the least. I can't begin to describe how lucky and thankful I am to have this opportunity. I can't wait to share it all with you, too!

February 4, 2013

Monday was my last night in the States for several weeks, and I spent it at my parent's house, snowed in, and watching my sister's cat, Henry, trying to entice her sister, Dinah (in the top), and her cousin, Copper, to play with her. Poor little girl was unsuccessful and tried to run off with my yarn instead (a project to come much later, as it is progressing slowly - but it's not that exciting, so don't hold your breath). 


February 5, 2013

I left for Sweden on Tuesday and was reminded of two things: first, that I love Pittsburgh and their homage to Andy Warhol in the airport, and second that I love traveling, I love pretty money, and I love having the opportunity to visit with great friends in exotic locations.


February 6, 2013

I arrived in Copenhagen, Denmark, on Wednesday, and met my dear friend, Ladaea, at the airport before traveling across the bridge to Malmö, Sweden. I was exhausted, but so excited to see Ladaea, to meet her husband, Adam, her cat, Sampson, and to see Scandinavia. Adam's a teacher and took off some time from school to tour around with me - after explaining this to his students, one made me this poster. That's a snow-covered tree, IKEA, and the Turning Torso, and iconic Malmö building on it. I love it.


February 7, 2013

We hit the ground running on Thursday with a trip to Kronborg in Helsingør, Denmark to see the castle immortalized in Shakespeare's Hamlet. This colorful house is not the castle. En route, we pasted this house, which from the ferry appeared to be a shack covered in colorful posters. Up close, it was a colored glass house with strange music playing inside. And that, is Danish art. 


February 8, 2013
After battling the wind and snow in Denmark the day before, we opted for a more indoorsy day on Friday, taking in the sights and shops of Malmö. I had my first fika this day; fika is verb and a noun that means to take a break from the day to enjoy a coffee (but I opted for tea above), something sweet (cinnamon roll), and conversation. Fika's worked into their workday - they enjoy two a day usually, and it's contracted into work and everything. The States could really take a lesson here.


February 9, 2013

We braved the weather on Saturday for a trip to Copenhagen. We did a perfect mix of the touristy spots (and met the Little Mermaid, above) and the gritty essence of Copenhagen, and enjoyed delicious Danishes.


February 10, 2013

 I was back on a plane on Sunday to Birmingham, United Kingdom. These next two months will be a lot of travel, but I'm so thankful to have this opportunity to see so many places of which I've dreamed and to visit those I don't see so often.

2 comments:

  1. By the way, that pretty glass house we passed was part of a light installation in Helsingborg.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/annamaia/8477104106/in/photostream/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, it's so pretty at night! I wonder what the strange music piece was about during the day, then.

      Delete

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...