Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The BEST Cookies: Oatmeal No-Bakes.

Oatmeal no-bakes are my favorite cookies, and I don't know how they haven't found their way to this site earlier. Well, that's not entirely true. These cookies are a bit difficult, in that their end result varies with every batch, and the recipe is often argued about between my sisters and I and our mum. I've just been avoiding it.

After my friend, Alex, texted me for the recipe before I left the country on an English holiday with Steph to visit Mum, Dad, and Veronica, I was forced to face two very real truths:

1. I might not get Christmas cookies this year.
2. I would have to beg, plead, and possibly bring ingredients for cookies - I had to plan immediately.

I also only had maybe two and a half days to spare.

First, I found the recipe for Alex. Then I started lobbying with Mum for cookies upon arrival, by way of Veronica, as her shared interest in the treat was sure to align her as an ally. Per usual, Mum was dodgy on the text replies. I couldn't tell if she was avoiding the cookies or just texting as usual (read: like a caveman, and maybe only hitting about 50%).

I know this is turning into quite the exciting story (read: not), so I'll skip to the end: we had to make them ourselves, or rather, force Steph to make them because Mum said she makes them best, using the British methods, which meant converting things like 1 stick of butter to cups, and then to grams, and then measuring on a scale. It was more than we bargained for, but made the cookies all the sweeter.

These aren't really sugary sweet cookies though.



Oatmeal No-Bakes

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup cocoa (alternatively, 4 Tablespoons of cocoa. We've used both amounts to no discernible difference)
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 cups oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions

 1. Clear a space on the counter or table and lay out two rows of waxed paper.
 2.  Measure out all of the ingredients and have them ready at an arm's reach of the stovetop.

 3. Boil the sugar, cocoa, butter, and milk for 30 seconds, stirring regularly. Start counting from the first boil bubble to break the surface. I was acting as Steph's apprentice in this part. Verdict: I can make them, but not as good as Steph. Mum's a very tough, but fair, judge. She's not sparing any feelings.


 4. Remove from heat and stir in the oatmeal, peanut butter, and vanilla. Drop by the spoonful onto wax paper. Move quickly!


 5. Allow to cool, and enjoy :)

The cookies are supposed to be shiny, as opposed to how they're pictured above, but that's a riddle we haven't cracked yet. Mum thinks it has to do with how long everything is on the burner together. We get it right about 60% of the time, so clearly we need to start tracking these things or continue in confusion. The latter will probably be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...