Monday, January 28, 2013

Picture This: Week 4.

I started a picture-a-day project this year. My intent is to try and appreciate every day, the good and the bad. That, and it's a fun way to see the year compiled into a bunch of snapshots. I'm posting weekly recaps of the past seven days. It's a fun way to recap the week and to keep me motivated to try new things and live it up every day. It's rarely ground-breaking, but I couldn't handle that anyway. Does anyone else do this? I'd love for you to share! You can start anytime, too - a new year doesn't have to start on January 1. I'd love to nose around your life and live vicariously. In the least creepy way possible. And PS - my sister does this as well, but rarely updates her blog. Check out my past weeks through the "picture-a-day" topic link on the right.  

This week was about the little things. After a mental breakdown on Monday, I sorted myself out, made lots of lists, and focused on the things that made me happy. It was about baby steps.


January 21, 2013

I found myself driving back to DC from Pittsburgh late Monday after work got in the way of my plans, and caused a total mental breakdown. As the temperatures dropped and the snow flurried, I was reminded how thankful I was for my car, affectionately known as Vibey. He's so dependable and really good in the snow, all the better because my stubborn personality would have us plowing through worse conditions.


January 22, 2013

I came home from work Tuesday to a box at my door. I racked my brain for what I ordered and forgot about, only to see one of my best friend's handwriting on the label. I squealed the whole time while ripping through the multiple layers of tape, (really, Alex, I don't think a lion could've scratched his way through that much tape) to find the most beautiful, hand-knit circle scarf. I'm so lucky to have such great and talented friends. Now I'm warm, too!


January 23, 2013

This Christmas, Veronica asked that we stop giving her Christmas presents, and rather, give her "life" presents. These sorts of presents are little trinkets that we find and make us think of her, and instead of waiting for a traditional occasion, we gift just because "we're happy the person is alive." While I won't be forgoing Christmas presents for her (it would just be wrong to not get her something), I really like the idea of "life" presents, or "just because" presents. Zach participated without even knowing it when he brought me this owl contact case. It's so cute, and I like that this cute little guy is a part of my routine (we'll say both the owl and Zach are the cute guy).


January 24, 2013

I woke up Thursday to an unexpected snowfall, which is the best thing to wake up to in the winter, in my opinion. Snow rarely sticks around in DC, and true to form, this snow was gone by the evening. It hasn't properly snowed here since I moved two and a half years ago, so I was pumped for the sight of the white.


January 25, 2013

Sometimes I get so caught up in work and the commute that I forget that I pass some pretty awesome stuff every day. It's always a "pinch me" moment when it hits me that I live in the nation's capital, that some people only see pictures of this place, and that some consider this a vacation destination. It's pretty cool to call it home.


January 26, 2012

As I mentioned above, it rarely snows in DC. As such, I haven't needed proper snow boots. However, with upcoming travels to snowy locals and the most difficult driveway shoveling experience (I wiped out once and slide down the sloped driveway multiple times) when I returned to my parent's home in Pittsburgh, it became literally painfully obvious that I needed snow boots with an actual tread on them. I stopped by DSW with little hope of finding anything but Uggs or fake Uggs (fuggs), but was happily surprised with a real pair of snow boots that aren't horribly unattractive, a pair of sandals for $11, and my first pair of brown, real leather boots in the clearance section. I rarely find good clearance with my big feet, but was grinning like a maniac as I purchased these three pairs of shoes. Seal clapping ensued.


January 27, 2013

All of the cats are currently staying at my parent's house. That's four cats. It can get a little crazy, and the vacuuming is in full force, but I absolutely love my fur babies. They all have such distinct personalities and I'm always cracking up at their antics. I sound like a crazy cat lady, so let me clarify: I'm just their adoring aunt. Above is Henry, also known as purry pants. She jumped in bed on a lazy Sunday morning to fill her attention needs, and promptly starting biting when she was over it.

1 comment:

  1. i commented on this and then forgot that it didn't work but i just want to clarify here and say that i never demanded anyone get me life presents!! i only said that thats what i'm going to do! nobody has to get me any presents at all!!1

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...