Thursday, December 27, 2012

Refridgerator Oatmeal and other fun facts.

I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas and is getting the chance to catch up with family, friends, and sleep between the holidays!

Like everyone, I'm always running late in the morning. Really, I'm always running late. It's gotten worse as I've gotten older, and though I make a concerted effort to be timely to important events, I can't predict the time I'll arrive at work. It's anywhere between 8 AM and 8:45 AM. It's acceptable, and I like to partly blame the metro, but still. It's sort of a problem. Maybe that'll be my resolution.

In the meantime, I'm forced to skip an even half-decent brekky and generally grab a pouch of instant oatmeal on the way out the door. Yes, this means I eat my oatmeal without milk or water, and straight out of the pouch. It has disgusted most of my roommates. Alternatively, if I have a couple minutes, I pour milk over the same pouch of oatmeal and eat it cold. I think most of my roommates have found this most disgusting. I started asking for my oatmeal served like that at a very young age, like four, and have no idea what prompted it, and neither does my mother. I'll occasionally pop it in the microwave, but that requires ten extra minutes that I never have in the morning.

My friend, Kate, found a recipe for refrigerator oatmeal and was raving over it, so I thought I'd give it a try. That was months ago. Literally August. I have no idea why it took me until December to actually try this. I had the half-pint mason jars and plastic lids, but worked myself up to believe that these would be difficult to make, but that is not the case at all. These could not be easier. It's a matter of measuring ingredients and dumping them in a jar. I made brekky for 12 mornings in under an hour. Magic.


Refrigerator oatmeal, and apple cinnamon refrigerator oatmeal, at that. 
Originally from here

Ingredients:

I made 12 jars, and was so impressed by how little I used of each item, that I'm listing that after the standard ingredient. I'm just in awe.

  • 1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned oats (I used less than a container)
  • 1/3 cup skim milk (I'm sure this could be substituted for your preference)
  • 1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt (I used five 6 oz containers)
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of chia seeds (I hoarded these after a few unsuccessful gathering attempts at Whole Foods, apparently they're all the rage, so I have enough of these to last an apocalypse)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of honey (I started eye-balling this because measuring honey is a sticky situation, pun intended)
  • 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened (I bought those little cups that are perfect to add with lunch, the 4 oz size. I used six of them in making 12 jars of brekky. I ran a little short on the last and topped it off with a big container of applesauce. Next time, I don't think I'm going to fret if it's sugar free or not)

Directions:

Layer in the ingredients, mix a bit, refrigerator, and enjoy. I also froze a few to last a little longer.


The site has a bunch of recipes, but the amount of applesauce I had on hand matched perfectly to the number of jars, so I didn't get a chance to try out the others. Kate says the blueberry is her favorite though, while I'm a huge fan of the apple cinnamon, even after eating it for breakfast four days in a row.


I love that it gives me an easy, wholesome breakfast, with much more protein than I would normally take in with my vegetarian and poorly supplemented diet. I'm also looking for ways to trick myself into eating greek yogurt for that reason, too, and I can't taste it in here. Perfect. This recipe is all over Pinterest. Has anyone tried any other flavors? Has anyone created their own new flavors? Please share, if so. I'm really thinking I could do this for the rest of my life, but apple cinnamon probably won't cut it forever. I'm in love with its health benefits, convenience, and when a batch can get me through two weeks, it's a minimal effort to start. It's cheap, too! I made twelve in what I approximate to be under $10. Sing it with me: these are a few of my favorite things! 

1 comment:

  1. Mmm. This has been my go-to brekkie ever since we discovered it at RPAC years ago (remember how good their mueslix was?). If I get bored and want to change it up, I'll use a very small quantity of good jam instead of honey/applesauce/fruit. So, so good.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...