Thursday, December 13, 2012

Holiday help.

Similar to last year, I wanted to make a package for the homeless man that lives next to my office at work. This is a couple months later than last year, but I hope it's appreciated all the same.


Like last year, I went for creature comforts. This gentleman asks for nothing, smiles when you pass by, and keeps to himself. That's not to say that he must be missing something, namely Oreos. Okay, there's probably a lot more than Oreos.

Included in his package are the following, clock-wise:
  • Fleece zip-up
  • First aid kit (white box)
  • Flannel hooded jacket
  • Wet Ones
  • Deodorant
  • Soap
  • Antibacterial gel
  • Chapstick
  • Kleenex
  • Toothpaste
  • Lotion
  • Wool socks
  • Oreos
  • Peanut butter (Mum made a good call on this - everyone needs delicious protein)
  • Pretzel crackers
  • Hot hands and toes
  • McDonald's gift card (because it's in the area - no pictured).
I dropped it off to him last night, though he wasn't at his usual spot. He was sitting on a chair at the end of his sleeping bag all week, but not last night. I was disappointed for a minute, but knew I couldn't carry the box all the way home and back again (little upper body strength and wearing a too-warm-for-the-weather coat). I left it on top of his tupperware container and wished him well. I realized that giving the gift is not about being thanked; that's not why I did this. I wanted to brighten his day, whether he knew it was me or not. So I left feeling just as good about it.

Happy Holidays, everyone! I hope your days are brightened just as much by giving and receiving this season.

2 comments:

  1. i wish i could just 'like' posts on here. anyway i will extend my comment by saying that it makes me proud that you do this. also you didnt meet him last year either huh? i bet he wants to say thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :)

      i didn't meet him last year either. i thought i would this year because he had been sitting on a chair every previous day of the week, so i was sure i'd see him, but then i was carrying my box over and he wasn't anywhere to be found. i wanted to meet him in person as well, especially after mum was pushing the issue, but then i realized that i wasn't doing it for that reason anyway. it feels cheap to go up after and be like, like that box of stuff? i did it! so i haven't approached the subject. he does have the box though; i've seen it daily :)

      and i'll be back next year, so i'm sure i'll catch him.

      Delete

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...