Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Cinnamon Chip Cookies.

Merry Christmas, everyone! I'm spending the holiday with family in England, so I may be a bit delayed on posts and whatnot as we spend time together and do some exploring. Also as I catch up on sleep and try to get on the schedule here. It's been much more difficult this time around than in the past. I wish you and your family a very restful, peaceful, pleasant, and very happy holiday season filled with friends, family, fun and food. 

I meant to share this recipe before the holiday began, but I guess it's better late than never. I found cinnamon chips a few years ago, during my time as a janitor and when I was cleaning the Home Economics classroom. Random aside - I was a janitor for two summers. The school district from which I graduated had a program where they hired college kids for the summer to assist in the summer cleaning. I was dreading going back to Dairy Queen, my high school job, one summer, and my mum found this janitorial job, and it was the best ever. It was a guaranteed forty hours a week, and had built in nap time because it was a union job and the crew took regular breaks. The college kids used the breaks for naps in the nurses office. Maybe I shouldn't have told you that - but that was years ago. That, and we're talking about cookies.


This recipe is from the back of the bag of cinnamon chips. I rarely find the cinnamon chips. I found them the summer I found them in the Home Ec closet at Giant Eagle, the local grocery store, but couldn't find them again for maybe four years, until I just spotted them at Wal-Mart, and hoarded stocked up on five bags. It kind of made me like Wal-Mart a little bit. I'm still not a fan, though. Let that be clear. 

These cookies are good, but not typical. You could probably figure that from the rareness of the cinnamon chips, though. They're not overly sweet, chewy, and very different. I enjoy them, but they're not the type of cookie that everyone jumps on and tries to gobble. I personally prefer that because it means more for me. That's not really in the Christmas spirit.

Oatmeal Cinnamon Chip Cookies
Recipe by Hershey

Ingredients
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1-1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2-1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 10 oz cinnamon chips
  • 3/4 cup raisins

See, the cinnamon chips look creepy, but I promise they're tasty.
  • Beat butter, brown sugar, sugar in bowl until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking soda. Stir into butter mixture. Add in oats, cinnamon chips and raisins. The dough will be tough.
  • Drop by spoonful onto a cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
  • Makes about 4 dozen, which is a lot for a standard bag of chocolate chips, I feel. A bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...