Thursday, July 5, 2012

Lemon and Blueberry: a match made in refreshing heaven.

I just need the weakest excuse to go on a baking spree. In this case, it came at the opportunity to use the lemon zester and blueberries that were just past their prime and demanding immediate attention. I'm a sucker for the zester.


I started with a lemon cookie. To be exact, it was this lemon cookie, but to make life easy, it's reposted below:

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup no-salt butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest (though really, the zestier the better, I'd say)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1-1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat flour in attempt to argue these cookies healthy)
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Process
  • Cream butter and sugar (the regular sugar) in a large bowl. Add in vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Stir in dry ingredients (still keep the powdered sugar out of this mix). Stir until combined. Pour powdered sugar on a plate. Roll balls of dough in powdered sugar before plopping them down on a baking sheet.
  • Bake for 9-11 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the bottoms are light brown.
  • Cool on rack and start the icing.
 

And by icing, I mean hands-down, most sugary-sweet icing: the Wilton brand icing. I learned how to make this in a cake decorating class that my mum signed my sisters and me up for in high school, and it has been our sweet staple ever since.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Crisco (do yourself a favor and buy it in the stick form)
  • 1 teaspoon of flavoring (I used vanilla, but this could be almond or butter or the like)
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon meringue powder (this is sort of optional- its the stuff that hardens the icing)
  • Pinch of salt to taste (and with my super sweet tooth, this never gets thrown in)
  • Blueberries, washed and tossed in by the handful to color (I would estimate I threw in 2.5 handfuls)
Process
  • Toss everything in the mixer and mix. The longer it run, the more light and fluffy it will get.

I garnished by smooshing in some extra blueberries on top. I really did it to try and emphasize that the icing was not pink, but a faint blue-purple, a la blueberries. Duh. It was totally a decoration thing until I tried one - and the burst of blueberry juice with the sweet icing and crisp lemon cookie is kind of the best accident I've ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...