Thursday, July 26, 2012

Grandma's standards, my style.

One of my favorite parts of my grandma's house are these three giant floor pillows that she has in her living room. They're heavy and at least 20-years old, but they are the perfect pillows for a nap in the middle of the living room floor.

Similarly sized pillows run about $80 (from Pottery Barn, on sale), and the prices just get worse. I took the DIY alternative.

Using leftover fabric from my reupholstered ottoman, I cut out two 25-inch squares and four pieces that were 25-inches long and 2.5-inches wide. At JoAnn's, I picked up 6-yards of red cording and a zipper.


To start, I pinned the cording around the edge of my two squares. I lined the edge of the cording up with the edge of the fabric. At the end of the cording, I overlapped the tails about an inch and a half. The corners are difficult, but nothing that a little wrestling couldn't handle.



Then, using yellow thread to made it stand out, I sewed over the cording's thread line with my zipper foot. You see that red line on the cording? That's what I traced over.



After I had my two squares corded up, I pinned one side on, patterned-sides together, and put in the zipper. This was the most frustrating part because the cording makes it a thousand times more difficult. In the end, I didn't get the zipper in there the correct way or with the most-flush sides, but it was in. And it can open and close.



Then, I pinned all of the sides to one square. Following the same process as before, I lined the edge of the fabric up with the edge of the cording and pinned. At the corners, I put in another pin. Because of the square, the sides popped up, making a cute little baby pool for my elephant pin cushion. Thanks, Stephie!



Then, I followed the seam line I created when I was attaching the square to the cording to attach the sides. I also inadvertently put my pins in backwards. So maybe don't do that.



Especially because it could end in this.



The tip of a needle. Dangling. Whoopsie.

After a quick needle change, I was back on track. I waited to do the corners (the vertical piece) until the sides were done. That way, I had the tightest fit. 

Finally, I opened the zipper (CRUCIAL so you don't sew the entire thing shut), pinned the other other square to the sides, and again traced the previous thread line. I flipped the pillow out through the zipper, stuffed him with a bag of Poly-fill, and there it was - 


A two-foot square, comfy, giant floor pillow for the low, low price of $12. Okay, I sort of cheated by having the fabric and Poly-fill on hand. A coupon at JoAnn's definitely helped, too.



I'm a bit in love with the red cording too. I don't know what it is about July - it makes me love the color red. Maybe it's my favorite things - tomatoes, fireworks (I realize they have color varieties, but I think red and white), suntans, and summer. Our apartment and my life was missing a serious pop of red, so this came at the perfect time.

And now I'm napping in the middle of our living room floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...