Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Thrifting: Catch the disease.

My sister loves flea markets, garage sales, Goodwill, and any chance at treasure from another's trash. I know that it's the best shot at an affordable upgrade, but it's always been very daunting to me. Digging through in search of a bargain for the perfect piece that I've created in my head seems nearly impossible. That, and sometimes I just can't control myself.

This is an account of the latter.

I went to my parent's hometown in Michigan for a weekend of family, catching up with my sisters, jello shots, seeing Daddy-o, and just relaxing in one of the most beautiful places I know. See here for my apartment tour... but skip ahead to the end to see the print over my bed of my grandpa's pond. On the way up with my parents, sister and her boyfriend, we saw signs for a Saturday flea market. Mum made us promise we wouldn’t tell our other sister, who was en route with her boyfriend. I was the fifth wheel on this trip, but it had its perks: I didn’t get thrown in a lake.

Our attempts were futile. She could smell it a mile away. Not literally – this was not a garbage dump of a garage sale. We spent Saturday morning walking my parent’s hometown, which was easy because it’s not even large enough to have one traffic light, collecting treasures. And I had my youngest sister’s boyfriend carry my loot. A second perk of being the fifth wheel.


I cannot even fully comprehend that all of this fabulous stuff totaled $16.60. SERIOUSLY. Thanks, Michigan!


I realize it's a little difficult to see the detail of everything here, but as I determine a permanent home for everyone (minus the trees, I think they're in the Christmas bin for a bit), I promise I'll update. Once again, sorry for the terrible lighting, but I think I might be a step closer to liking a light enough to take the plunge. 

While we've veered off track, let's just keep ambling. This is my friend Kate's room. I could go on and on about her perfect grey walls and her gallery of travel photos, but what about that light?!



I had thought for so long that I needed a light to sit on my desk, but now I'm really reconsidering. This light changed my entire outlook. Now I realize that I need new side tables for the bed, table lamps for those, and perhaps a standing light over the desk. Just when I thought I had my mind made up...

I digress. Any good thrifting finds lately? Any recommendations for lamps or side tables?! My life has been all shook up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...