Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Planting Tile.

This is random. Real random.

A little bit ago, I thought I should start an urban herb garden. Not really. I just wanted to say urban and herb together. Really, I thought I needed a tomato plant to supplement the vast quantities of tomatoes I eat, and I read that basil was a great accompaniment to tomatoes. I've grown basil in the past and have found it finicky and really a bit too high maintenance for my taste, but I do love me some fresh basil and if my tomato plant wants a friend, I'm willing to oblige. None of that is really relevant though.




When planning out where to put my tomato plant and debating the merits of a topsy turvy thingamajig, I settled on a pot that currently held my dwarf umbrella tree. At least, that's what I've decided it is. I had a smaller pot that the umbrella would fit in, but per my research, the tomato didn't want to ever be in the smaller pot.

So I dug up the umbrella man to switch him out. I got this guy from my grandma, who got it from her mom (my great-grandma). I haven't asked Gram about it (I can hardly get a word in edgewise on the phone - her house is a revolving mass of people and chaos), and I haven't had much luck on Google, but does anyone know the merits of planting tiles in the pot of the plant?

In the pot, I found two of these tiles:



They weren't lining the bottom as a sort of drainage. They were right in there with the dirt. Middle of the pot. And they're pretty and from Spain.

I'm using one as my shampoo tray in the shower and just holding on to the other for now.



Those are two dehydrated shampoos from Lush. I fell in love with that store and it's eco-friendly and all-natural ways while over in Derby, England. Those two cakes are each equivalent to about 60 hair washes. All you do is rub the cake in your hand while in the shower, it'll lather up, the you wash as normal. Fantastic way to continue to decrease your plastic usage and be better to the environment.

I'll get off my soap box. The root of the matter here is the tiles - do they have some higher value or do you think great-grandma was throwing everything and anything in the pot? She wasn't a loopy lady so I'm pretty convinced there's a reason they're in there, I just can't figure it out.

Are these puns killing you? I think I'm sick of myself just about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...