Thursday, March 8, 2012

Chai Applesauce Cookies.

My poor roomie's in a bad place. I'm not awesome at comforting. I try really hard, really hard. It usually results in baking. Because I believe that deliciousness cures all problems. Well, until you feel like an ooph. Then you work out and the endorphines get you back in the game. And then you're back at it. Endorphines make you happy.

Tangent.

Chai Applesauce!

I got the recipe from Pinterest, duh. Originally, it came from here. But I'm going to list it out here because I thought the recipe was unclear and I did some things a bit my way.
 
Cookies:

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup applesauce (and I just happened to have some homemade!)

Frosting:

3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
dash of ground cloves
1/3 cup unsalted butter
4 tablespoons milk (I used skim)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the dry ingredients.
3. Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time.
4. Add the dry ingredients and applesauce, alternating until well mixed.



5. Drop the batter in blobs onto a cookie sheet. It's a thick, gooey batter. I used a cooking stone and a regular pan, the latter of which gets greased.



6. Bake at 325 for 10-12 minutes, or until just brown on the bottoms. My roomie and I are also of the group that undercooked and gooey is better :)



Frosting:

1. Measure the powdered sugar and spices into a bowl and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter. I did it over low heat. Watch the butter until it starts to bubble. The recipe said to wait until the butter slide on the bottom turned a medium brown, but I was too chicken to wait that long. My butter was bubbling and simmering and veryyy light brown.
3. Once you get your butter where you want it, pour it in with the dry ingredients. Blend together.
4. Add in milk as you stir to desired thickness.

The frosting is pretty thick, but I didn't find it totally unmanageable.

And enjoy! These cookies are RICH. but so so fabulous. And we like to think they're a bit healthy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...