Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sweet Strawberry Cookies.

I may be onto something. And it's sort of exciting because I'm really only mildly creative with pasta, like once a year. And I'm not sure this first attempt was the winner (it's still way delicious), but I've got ideas.

But anyway, this is what's up - strawberry cookies.

I started with a box of strawberry cake mix.

 
I wasn't feeling like cupcakes, so I pulled down a box of funfetti and followed the directions on the side of that box to make cookies (it's 1/3 cup oil and two eggs to one cake box mix, fyi). Only it turns out that I might not be able to read because I only used one egg instead of two. I must've had some good karma stored up because they still turned out.


Or maybe it was because I used my new super cool measuring cups:


My sister got me these for Christmas, and I love them. I can't give you any more information than that on them - but they make baking that much more fun.

Then I made some icing. Mainly because I'm an icing snob wanted to eat some sugar on the side. Thanks to pinterest, I stumbled upon the Cake Boss icing recipe:

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
  • 5 cups powdered (10x) sugar
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 3 tablespoons lukewarm water
Yields: 4 cups

Preparation

Put the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on low speed until butter is smooth with no lumps. With the motor running, add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, only adding the next cup after the first addition has been integrated into the mixture.
Stop the machine and add the vanilla and salt. Paddle on low-medium speed until completely smooth, approximately 2 minutes. Add the water and continue to mix until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
The frosting can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.


And it. is. FABULOUS. I wasn't getting my hopes up - I've been to the Cake Boss store in Hoboken and it was all very good, but I didn't remember the cupcakes. Maybe I didn't have a cupcake. All I remember is the crumb cake, which was awesome. But enough babbling. The icing is awesome.


So the cookies were iced. And in the spirit of Valentine's Day (and The Bachelor, because I was catching up on that while making these), some sort of lovey thing was needed on top. I considered candy hearts, but it's hard to bite into a piece of one. I've used them on cupcakes before. Then I saw the strawberries. Yum.

I cut them into slices and laid them on top.


And aren't these adorable? They're way good, too. Definitely sweet, but you have to be sweet in February. I like to think that the fruit on top makes it a smidge healthy for you.


Next up - what if a strawberry was cooked into the cookie? Even better? I may be trying that version real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...