Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Decking the Halls.

Instead of boughs of holly, this girl decks the halls with wreaths of ornaments. And it makes the long morning trek small walk to the shower each morning so much more full of cheer.


Tra-la-la-la-la!
 Supplies:
  • Wire hanger
  • Plastic ornaments. I'm didn't keep track of the count, but the rough number I used on the wreath is 35. I believe I had 48 ornaments on hand (from Target)
  • Hot glue gun
  • Ribbon

1. To start, bend the wire hanger into a circle. It was a little rough, so I employed a pair of pliers to get some of the tougher kinks out. The circle doesn't have to be perfect - the ornaments with help mask the shape a bit. To connect the circle, bend one side 180 degrees to create a hook. With the other side, make a rounded hook that'll be used to hang the wreath. This picture might help clear up that description:



2. Unhook the 180 degree bend and start stringing on the ornaments. 



3. Once I got to the point where most of the ornaments were on the wire and the wreath was mostly formed, I hung it on a chair to evaluate the situation. This is where I busted out the hot glue gun. Some of the ornaments popped their tops (remember, I got the cheap Target plastic bulbs), so those needed to be reattatched, and some ornaments I glued to other ornaments to fill the gaps (as in, they're not connected to the wire at all).



4. When I felt the wreath was done, I attached a ribbon bow with a piece of wire to the top of the hanger and hung it on the door. Then I saw more gaps that needed to be addressed.



I pulled the glue gun over to the door and stuck on some more ornaments.

And that's it! I highly recommend the plastic bulbs. If the wreath's on the door (and I would recommend it be on an interior door), an ornament or two is bound to pop off, and it's a lot easier to glue a plastic bulb back on than to clean up a shattered glass bulb and fund the replacement to fill the gap.


I would say this wreath has to be one of the best ways to spruce up an otherwise neglected door and to spread holiday cheer throughout the house. Tra-la-la-la-la la-la-la-laaaaaaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...