Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Treats.

In addition to the Chubby Hubby cookies to kick off the season, some holiday classics were in order.

First up: Peanut Butter Goodies. These are the treats of my childhood. My Dad always makes them, and it's been years since he made them last, so I begged for him to break out his skills and enlist me as the assistant.


And I snuck away with the recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 1 18oz jar of peanut butter
  • 4 sticks of butter
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla
  • 24 oz chocolate chips
  • 1 pound of powdered sugar
  1. Melt together the peanut butter and 2 sticks of butter. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Slowly turn in the powdered sugar. Remove from stock and press into a pan (with this recipe, we filled a 9x13in pan and a 9.5inch round pan).
  2. Melt chocolate chips and 2 sticks of butter. Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Pour on top of peanut butter. 
  3. Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut into squares. This is the secret step that will allow your squares to look nice when the goodies are actually all firmed up.
  4. Let chill until firm.
  5. Enjoy, and don't think about the calories.

We were both shocked at the amount of butter. We now want to refer to these as "protein bars" because we want to highlight as much of their positive qualities over the artery-blocking ones.

Next up: Ladylocks. These are my mum's cookies. She makes a few dozen with my neighbor every year, but we still have leftover dough to make a few dozen ourselves. I love the process of rolling out the dough - mostly because I like to eat the scraps of the dough. We buy the dough from a local shop, so I don't have that recipe, but I do have the filling, which is also delicious.


Ladylock filling:

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup Crisco
  • 2 sticks of margarine
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 8 tablespoons of flour
  • 1 cup of milk (we always use skim because that's what we drink)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla


  1. Measure all ingredients into a mixer and mix. The longer you beat the filling, the whiter it gets.
I hope everyone's enjoying some delicious treats! I can't wait to start the party stretch between Christmas and New Year's for all of the fabulous concoctions that everyone makes each year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...