Monday, October 24, 2011

Giving Back.

It hit me when I was leaving work at 9:45 the other night, and it was actually cold out. It always takes longer for fall to arrive here, compared to Columbus, where fall would have come and gone and I would probably be wearing my winter coat right now if I were still in school.

But I pass this man every day, and he has his whole set up under the horrible bridge with so much pigeon droppings that I speed walk through while holding my breath everyday. He never asks for money, and he never has a sign, but he's always there - sitting next to his sleeping bag house made out of black plastic bags, laying on these bags, or walking up and down the street. I can't even imagine. But I couldn't shake the thought of him sleeping in the cold on this first chilly night that I started thinking about everything I would miss if I were homeless. And this would be a horribly and selfishly long list, but at the core, I would miss feeling human. My skin crawls when my hair's overdue for a washing and I bite at my nails all day if there's a speck of dirt I can see through them.


So I bit the bullet and went to the most least-desirable place, Walmart, solely because I knew they had hand warmers. But I think I covered the essentials:


  • Snacks: granola bars, peaches, crackers, peanuts, chips, and chocolate - I would really miss chocolate
  • Hygiene: deodorant, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, antibacterial stuff, shampoo
  • Pleasantries: comb, chapstick, lotion, q-tips, gum, hand warmers
  • Medical: Tylenol,  band-aids, cough drops, Kleenex, water
  • I threw in a Starbucks gift card as well for some warm drinks and food.


I shoved it all in a bag that will hopefully brighten his day. My friend gave me this bag with my Christmas present one year after telling me how her Gram was trying to pass it off on her, only for her to decline and then get the bag herself at Christmas, so I like that funny memories are going with it too. I think Kay will appreciate that. And that's a very happy panda, so I don't know how that could not be a small pick-me-up.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha- I LOVE that you used the panda bag! And what an awesome use for it- I do hope all of those great things help him out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD! It was too small for groceries, and it's so cheerful! I saw him with it yesterday and it was THE BEST start to a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Sam, that is the kindest thing to do! I know he probably was very thankful. What did he say when you gave it to him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, he wasn't actually there when I left it with his stuff. I've seen him using the hand sanitizer and I've seen him with the panda bag since then though!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...