Monday, September 19, 2011

C-O-F-F-E-E.

Just saying 'coffee' makes me think of a song my dad used to sing to us: 'C-O-F-F-E-E, Coffee is not for me!' I don't remember the context, because he drank coffee daily, but now the words are quick to pop into my head.

Anyway. I tried my hand at making a coffee cozy, and this is my tutorial, with very few pictures, about that.

I started with a Starbucks cozy. I split it open and traced out a pattern for myself on a piece of paper, leaving some room for the seam (about 1/2-inch, though my sketch was rough).



I then cut two pieces of fabric and a piece of fusible batting out of this.



I set the batting aside, and pinned the two pieces of fabric with the right side of the fabric together (the right side = the side that will be facing outward in the end). I sewed around this, leaving a small gap to flip the fabric back out.

Then, following the instructions on the fusible batting, I ironed the batting onto the bad side of one piece of fabric. After this, I flipped the fabric inside out, so the right side was now on the outside.

For extra reinforcement, and because I didn't feel like doing a hidden stitch on such a small opening, I did a zigzag stitch around the outside.

The last piece was to attach the elastic loop, for which I used a hairtie, and the button. I worked around a mug to find my placement, and pinned on the button and elastic. I sewed the elastic with a few zigzag stitches back and forth. I snipped the extra ends of the elastic, then dabbed a few drops of Fray Guard on the ends. Lastly, I sewed on the button.

And there they were:





It literally took maybe 20 minutes for each. Super easy, and it feels much better than using one from the coffee store every time.



1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE Mine!!!!! It was such a nice surprise on this crappy beginning of the school year week.
    love you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...