Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Shower Curtain [fail].

I saw a blog with a beautiful DIY shower curtain. And the shower curtain was yellow stripes. I have been looking for a yellow shower curtain without ducks for WEEKS. It was destiny. I was meant to follow the tutorial and recreate the perfect yellow shower curtain.


And then this resulted.

It's just atrocious. The yellow, the gaps of white, the ruffles, the poor proportion. All wrong.

So where did it go wrong?

I bought a full size cotton sheet, word for word of the tutorial. I hemmed it to my desired length and folded over the wider top hem so as to strengthen the top of my curtain. All good.

I couldn't find the specific Tulip soft paint that was recommended, but my sister found fabric spray paint and had used it for some t-shirts before. Okay, we'll try it. If I were to do this again, I would not use it. A bottle didn't last one strip across the sheet, meaning that I had to buy five. But I didn't buy five at first, I bought two and thought it would be enough. So then I ran out mid-stripe, and ended with a two-tone stripe in the middle as one had a full day of drying on the other. Secondly, this paint runs like mad. It didn't matter that I measured out my 12-inch stripes and taped them off, and then put extra tape around that to prevent spray. The whole sheet is yellow-tinged. And the stripes became roughly 15 or 16 inches, throwing off my white space in between.

My sister also grabbed me a little bottle of grey paint. I thought I might splatter or something. Instead I did these wonky dots around the stripes. I have no idea what came over me. They were just ugly. But you know when you do something, and you know it's bad, but you just have to keep going because you started and the whole time you're crossing your fingers, hoping, just maybe, that the horrible thing turns into something wonderful that you can brag about? That pulled me through.


But it was still just horrible.

So then I decided that I would cover it up with ruffles. It would look so cute! I could cover up the dots and make a crisp line around the yellow.

Except not.

So alas. This baby is out.

All is not lost, however. I did learn that I can make a mean button hole. And some decent ruffles. I wouldn't have tried either without this project. So watch out; everyone may be getting something with ruffles and button holes in the near future.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I have laughed that hard in a long time. You are so funny to keep going on this thing, it is quite ugly though, sorry! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense taken :) I just kept forcing it, then I had my gram's voice in my head (and this was originally in reference to a pie crust), 'if it doesn't work, throw it out and start over.' So I'm not starting over [yet], but I'm definitely throwing this out. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But that is one kick-ass button hole! You are my button-hole queen!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...