Monday, July 11, 2011

Glass Etching.

I saw a tutorial on glass etching, and it claimed to be easy, and really, IT WAS. In fact, I went a little beyond the one pan I wanted to glass etch for a friend, and I etched my set of three glass pans.

I used contact paper, an exact-o knife, glass etching material (I found it at Michael's), and a set of cheap paintbrushes.


I first measured out a length of contact paper, sketched my friend's last name, and cut it out the negative space in the contact paper.





Then I realized that  if I were to attach that piece to the pan, that I would be etching the name backward. So I  peeled off the backing and stuck it to the back of another piece of contact paper of the same dimensions.

 This was the result.

I forgot to take a picture of the next step, but it's super easy. I followed the instructions on the glass etching material, which was to paint the material over the letter cut outs. Apply a thick amount, and leave it on for 6 minutes (or however long the bottle says). Then, you wash off with water.

And Voila!


I got fancy (and tired of cutting out of contact paper), and starting free-handing these babies.

This is what the material looks like when it's sitting. It's just a thick white blob.

Here's two of the pans I made:
I'm sorry for the difficulty to see all of the details. It's hard to photograph these things.

1 comment:

  1. I love glass etching!!!

    "G - Double O - D J-O-B! Good Job, Good Job!"

    (That's my version of an 8th Grade Cheer....I'm not so old that I don't remember the 8th grade...)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...