Friday, July 8, 2011

Drying Rack.

A bit ago, I enlisted my dad for a bit of woodwork.

I saw these wall drying racks popping up on the internet and in some of Martha's magazine, and thought that would be great as my living situation still changes every year. I'll always have a wall, so a wall drying rack made more sense than a pop out one. I went to buy one first, and then didn't want to fork out the $80. Seriously. So I found a tutorial and with a bit of forcing things together, here we are!


Ignore these kind of ugly pictures. I haven't hung it up because I'm moving soon, so it's living in the garage for now (with very poor lighting). So now it's hung up (and functioning!), but the laundry room still does not have good lighting. Alas. You'll have to take me word that it's cute and weathered-like, and the middle knob isn't cock-eyed, like he appears. 


Here's a shot at my tutorial:


Wood pieces:
  1. 2 x 2’ precut birch (1/2 inch thick)
  2. Two 1/2 x 2” poplar boards
  3. Two 3/8” dowel rods (48” long)


Hardware:
  1. Hook lock
  2. Narrow loose pin hinges (set of two)
  3. D ring hangers for mounting on wall
  4. Bracketed hinge for side (or chain with small screw eyes)
  5. Three knobs (Target sells these in packs - much cheaper than buying individually)


Miscellaneous:
  1. Primer and paint
  2. Wood filler
  3. Wood glue

I made my frame 24-inches wide and 21.5-inches long. My dad insisted on making the edges 45 degrees, because 'that's the right way to do it.' It gave me practice on my triangle skills.





After we cut our boards, we cut the dowel rods to fit. This happened to be 22 inches. 


We then drilled the holes into the sides (the 21.5-inch pieces). We put the pieces next to each other to make sure that the holes were in line. We then drilled the one-inch holes. My dad had a trick for this: he measured one-inch on the drill bit, then taped it off. It would have been easier (and straighter) with a drill press, but our method worked.


Then we started assembling the drying rack frame. With a little bit of wood glue, my dad's nail gun, some forcing and clamping and wood filler in the cracks, we had a frame. This is also the time Dad told me, 'Wood working isn't really my thing.' So in our frustration, we trucked on. You may need to hammer in the dowel rods a bit, using a rubber mallet, or, in our case, a piece of wood on the outside of the frame and a hammer (lightly!).

Then it's time for painting and priming. I trust most can do this, or read the instructions on the spray can.

The rest involves the piecing together. We put hinges on the bottom, where the frame would swing out. On the sides, we put in a bracketed hinge. This was a bit difficult because the hinge was not made for our angles. The mounting piece was 180 degrees of where we wanted it, and the piece to attach to the rack had a little dip in it, for reasons I don't understand. It was nothing a little pliers and bending couldn't fix. Make it work! We put a hook on top (we don't want this thing swinging around on its own), and the hangers on the back. Lastly, we drilled holes for our knobs. My dad got fancy and counter-sank them so the screws on the back of the knobs would lay flat with the wall.

And ta-da! There it is! Well, I did some sanding to give it a 'distressed' look, too. But now I have a drying rack that I don't have to rearrange my rooms to set-up. So happy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...