Sunday, June 19, 2011

Oatmeal Cream Cookies.

I saw a recipe for homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies, and I had to try it. Not so much for my love of the manufactured versions (though I was a fan of those in my elementary days), but more for nostalgia and the joy in making something that is so good in its processed form into something even better homemade.

Cookies:

1-¼ cup Flour
1-½ cup Old Fashioned Oats
½ teaspoons Baking Soda
½ teaspoons Salt
½ teaspoons Cinnamon
1 stick Butter, Softened (microwaved for 15 seconds)
¾ cups Packed Brown Sugar
1 whole Egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract



Cream:


4 cups Powdered Sugar1 stick Butter, Softened
1/4 cup Crisco

½ (heaping) teaspoons Cinnamon (so more like 3/4 in my recipe then)
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2 tablespoons Milk


Preheat oven to 375F.
Mix together the flour, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
Cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the egg and mix until smooth, then add the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Bake 1 Tablespoon-sized (or a bit smaller; mine were a bit large) balls of dough on a lined baking sheet for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden. On my parent's electric oven, 9 minutes was perfect. Let cool while preparing the filling.

For the icing, cream together the powdered sugar, crisco and butter. Mine was a bit lumpy, so I added the cinnamon, vanilla extract and milk and whipped on medium-high for a few minutes. I was using a hand-mixer, and didn't feel like holding it until it was super light.


And then I was faced with a dilemma. The cookies turned out like this, with a dome to their heads:


Also, the recipe only yielded about 30 cookies for me, and 15 sandwiches just wasn't going to be enough, especially with my dad and sisters lurked around and snatching behind my back. 


For a sandwich, I would have liked flat cookies. So instead of making a sandwich that would not have sat anywhere, I turned this into iced cookies:
And I have to say, they're pretty delicious. Dad couldn't stop eating them. Happy Father's Day, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They may take a little while to appear, but they'll get here. Thanks!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...